Wasatch Electric provided a complete array of electrical systems and design-assist solutions during the construction of the Hale Centre Theatre in Salt Lake City, UT. The 122,300-square-foot facility includes two stages equipped with state-of-the-art theatrical lighting and technology.
The highlight of the project was working on the highly advanced equipment utilized for the theater’s Centre Stage. With more than 120 motors and multiple control locations, the 80-ton stage can support eight feet of water while spinning, raising, and lowering. The stage motion control is electrically coupled with an actor-and-object gantry crane flying system and consists of a center column lift, four quad lifts, two large crescent lifts, two slip stages, and two overhead gantry crane trolleys. Altogether, 16 set performance pieces can be moved simultaneously.
Along with electrical work for the stage, we also outfitted the Hale Centre with a custom made LED façade on its exterior, a dazzling lobby with six crystal chandeliers, and controls and power for a cutting-edge electronic tinting system for its exterior windows.
With its new 467-seat proscenium stage and 900-seat theatre-in-the-round stage, the Hale Centre Theatre is ideally positioned to provide the greater Salt Lake metropolitan area outstanding theatrical entertainment.
Wasatch Electric’s scope included all aspects of electrical and fire alarm as well as
security, telecommunication, data, and dimming for the facility. We worked in a number of environments, including two theaters, exterior spaces, and a large backstage with dressing rooms, green rooms, kitchenettes, storage areas, offices, control and dimming rooms, and an enormous fly loft loading area.
During the project, we provided:
- Power distribution featuring a 2,500-kilo-volt-amp transformer feeding a 4,000-amp switchboard
- a 350-kilowatt backup generator
- 15 switchboards, 40 panelboards, ten transformers, and two automatic transfer
- 2,400 light fixtures, including several custom-built, one-of-a-kind fixtures
- DMX lighting control panels
- 96,300 feet of feeder cable, 979,000 feet of branch circuit wire, 85,480 feet of MC-cable, and 117,000 feet of control cable
- Exterior lighting for the buildings entrance plaza featuring controlled landscape lighting, lighted handrails, power and lighting for water features, and custom made wrap-around LED fixtures
The project was fully 3D BIM coordinated by our in-house BIM department.
The Hale Centre Theatre is a family-oriented production group based in Salt Lake City.